Re: 2.2.6_arca1.bz2 [was Re: cache killer memory death test - 2.0 vs 2.2 vs arca - programs inside]

Harvey J. Stein (hjstein@bfr.co.il)
21 Apr 1999 14:02:03 +0300

Andrea Arcangeli <andrea@e-mind.com> writes:

> Anyway I am interested if you could try my last code and make comparison
> (I tested it with some my hogtest, but I'll try your testcase very soon).
>
> ftp://e-mind.com/pub/linux/arca-tree/2.2.6_arca1.bz2
>
> It has rbtrees in both page cache and buffer cache and theorically
> according to me should perform better than arca12 (at least with plenty of
> memory). It's rock solid here.

Lucky I just built 2.2.6. I'm building with your patch right now. It
was a pain to get it building because your changes to
arch/i386/Makefile broke the pentium & ppro configs for gcc 2.7.2.3 -
this version of gcc doesn't support -mpentium & -mpentiumpro.

BTW, you have 128mb, right? With my test program you should
experiment with the number of records. I'd think 120,000 records
should be sufficient to bring the machine to its knees. 240,000
should definitely do it. At least it would on a 2.0 machine &
probably would on a 2.2 machine.

--
Harvey J. Stein
BFM Financial Research