Re: A/D converter

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 08:21:50 +0200 (MEST)

> On Tue, Apr 20, 1999 at 01:13:40PM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> > There is, furthermore, no reason to do so. The fact that the original
> > inquiry was about an ADC that "ran" at 70 kHz, means nothing about
> > the speed at which it was expected to interrupt. In fact, the
> > maximum rate at which you can interrupt Linux, and record that an
> > interrupt occurred in your ISR (nothing else), is almost, but not
> > quite, 50 kHz on a dual pentium running 400 MHz with a 100 Mhz main
> > bus. I have a device-driver module which does little more than measure
> > these kinds of things if you are interested.

A Pentium-100 SBC, on a passive-ISA backplane can do about 140k
interrupts per seconds.

The case where I tested this, I had to do a few ISA IOs to acknowledge
the interrupt, so the interrupt routine was NOT completely empty.

This was autumn '96. I think the machine runs 2.0.18.

Roger.

------ Microsoft SELLS you Windows, Linux GIVES you the whole house ------