Q:writing a netdevice (with skeleton.c)

Andreas Schuldei (schuldei@andrive.de)
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 17:30:01 +0200

--------------B10EEB40992488525E674AB5

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 17:10:22 +0200
From: Andreas Schuldei <schuldei@andrive.de>
To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject: Q:writing a netdevice (with skeleton.c)

I am writing a net-device and use the skeleton.c tablet.
kernelversion: 2.2.6

I have a few questions:

(1)
I get form the compiler
In file included from /usr/include/linux/capability.h:13,
from /usr/include/linux/binfmts.h:5,
from /usr/include/linux/sched.h:8,
from skeleton.c:18:
/usr/include/linux/fs.h:731: warning: redundant redeclaration of
`kdevname' in same scope
/usr/include/linux/kdev_t.h:76: warning: previous declaration of
`kdevname'

This does not really hurt, but is it meant this way? it is exactly the
same in both files.
Could I have caused it by patching the kernel? I did not get any *.rej
files.
This is just one of several cases of redundand declarations in the
includefiles of the kernel I saw.

(2)
I do not fully understand the skeleton.c.
What is meant by the HAVE_DEVLIST-Part? Do I not need probing if I had
it?

Donald Becker writes 'example-routines you must write'
and leaves out the some other stuff (eg. hardware reception of
packages).
Was the list meant as a outline with more items obviously missing? Which
ones?

(3)
I do not have an ethernet device. It will not run TCP/IP but will run a
bitbus (some kind of fieldbus for automation) protocol. I would like to
implement that protocol in a lib in userspace. I looked at the
appletalk-protocol (hint from Alan) but did not get the idear. How
should I implement the interface kernel <-> library and where is it best
to draw the line? Where could I pass up the packets?

Since I do not build a ethernet device I can remove the
ethernet-reverences, right?

Has anyone noticed I am a beginner?