Re: caps in elf, next itteration (the hack get's bigger)

Mark H. Wood (mwood@iupui.edu)
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 20:48:21 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> AIX and Netware both have transaction support. Perhaps the record
> support isn't so popular, but it seems to fit with transactions.
> VMS and Netware at least (don't know about AIX) support transactions
> over the network.

On VMS record I/O isn't a kernel issue anyway. RMS is a library -- the
only I/O syscall is SYS$QIO[W] which just moves blocks. RMS also handles
the fancy locking needed by simple transaction systems. Only the locking
primitives themselves are kernel functions. On days when I feel like
offending thousands at a stroke, I toy with the idea of writing an
RMS-like library for Unix. :-)

I'm one of the few people I know who used RMS on TOPS-20, too.