RE: /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes

Dag Wieers (dag@life.be)
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 11:25:46 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, Alex Buell wrote:

> Tarballs (*.tar.gz files) are the true tried and tested method for
> distributing _SOURCE_ code. I myself distribute my source code in
> tarballs, and in nothing else. I leave it up to the distributors (i.e
> RedHat, Debian) to repackage them for their distributions. I think I shall
> put in a provision in my sources in future to force people to give an URL
> pointing to my tarballs for those who wants it.
well, look again. a source-rpm is just the tar-ball (maybe some patches
too) and a spec-file (which list the process of compiling and the files
and some info)

i think you're really overreacting.

> Another reason for myself wanting the sources is to protect myself from
> knobheads putting out "modified" binaries that leaves my systems with
> security problems - see previous articles in this mailing list for the
> Utils-linux 2.9i trojan saga.
we're talking about the same sources here. talking about binaries means
you missed the point. you can distributed binaries in a tarball too and
that doesn't mean taballs are evil, is it ?

> Now do you understand?!
i understand every single word, but when you put them together i don't
understand where you're getting at. instead of complaining you could
already have solved your problem, without any fuzz. instead you chose
to keep ranting about it.

(ok, i must admit that that is not entirely your fault ;))

--
dag wieers, <dag@life.be>, http://dag.life.be/  _| _  _
for life is quite absurd,                      (_|(_|(_|