Re: Vesafb & less on console Bug ? and another problem

Dietmar Kling (dietmar.kling@sam-net.de)
Wed, 07 Apr 1999 09:17:11 +0000

Ian Eure wrote:

> Dietmar Kling wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > Kernel 2.2.x - 2.2.5 and vesafb on console (This did work under
> > 2.1.125 as far as I can remember )
> >
> > When I display a Textfile with less (version 332) larger than
> > screensize
> > and hit the key 'b' in less (Hint: hit space to scroll down some pages)
> > less tries to scroll back the text. This takes so much cpu-power that
> > sound
> > (mpg123) stops until the 50 lines are scrolled and it needs severals
> > seconds to scroll the lines on
> > my 350 AMD !!. Every task on the machine seems to stop working as long
> > as
> > the lines are scrolled back.
> >
> > I believe this is a bug.
> >
> No, this is normal behavior. Vesafb uses _none_ of the hardware
> accelleration your video card may or may not support. Since your CPU has
> to move a lot of data (for me, 1024x768x16bpp == ~1.6mb for one screen)
> around in memory, other CPU-intenstive programs (read: mp3 players) will
> suffer.
>
> The only reason to use Vesafb is if your video card is not yet supported
> by your X server. If you have a supported video card, I suggest that you
> use a high-res textmode and XFree.
>
> However.... If your system supports MTRRs, this can give you a huge

> speed boost, as is the case with my PII-450 and a S3 Trio3D card.

First: Thanks to all which replied.

My Card is a Matrox G100. The matroxbuffer didn't work for me last time i
tried it (2.1.128 I believe). It comes sometimes
up but my fbtv program shows the wrong colors and I am to lazy to evaluate
what goes wrong.

Guys, i will try again matroxfb but i insist that scrolling worked for me in
vesafb
(I did work under X for a long so i didn't notice the behaviour on the
console).
The only thing i changed beetween 2.1.124 and today was the processor (AMD 200
-> AMD 350).
(Ok today i upgraded to 128 MB RAM, kill me).
Scrolling worked well under the old kernels. When I find time, i will
recompile some old 2.1.124 and try to prove this. And yes I did _not_ change
my boot configuration.

Second Problem ( Or how to kill the ALT-Console Switch)

I also see a slowdon of fbtv (the console version of xawtv) compared to
older Kernels.
( But this could be a problem of the version of fbtv (2.34), though)

But I can easily kill the ALT-F1/F2/F3... Console switch.

Recipe:
Start fbtv on Console 1
Switch to Console 2
Switch back to console 1
There is ca. 1 second before the tv-screen comes back on my console.
In that time try to switch back to console 2
Bingo!
You killed the alt console Switch.
fbtv-Screen comes up and you cannot switch to another console anymore.

- dietmar

P.S. For those who want to know this is a AMD-350 Computer with 128 MB RAM a
Matrox G100 Card
a Bt848 Card a Soundblaster an Advansys SCSI-Controller, a Sony DAT-Tape some
SCSI-Disks
and a Big Fireball IDE. The machine is running fine, Captain :) .