Re: [CFT] rename patch + FAT patches

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 06:29:00 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, Tom Holroyd wrote:

> OK, this report is for 2.2.5 + rename-patch-10 + fat-patch-7
> AlphaPC164, egcs 1.1.2
>
> mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
>
> 1. chown now always returns EPERM, while chmod reports success but fails.

Hmm... I'll look at it.
[snip]

> So it seems that vfat is maybe overzealous in locking buffers?

Maybe... One possible source may be fat_get_entry() usage (much more
active now than it was in the old version). And fat_get_entry() does a lot
of unnecessary buffer cache activity. I'll try to clean it up. Something
is definitely wrong with buffer cache handling. Sometimes unlinked files
linger for a while.
Thanks,
Al