Re: Linux 2.2.5 won't boot?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jussi_H=E4m=E4l=E4inen?= (count@theblah.org)
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 16:45:31 +0300 (EET DST)

On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, Riley Williams wrote:

> Sounds like the old PCI PnP motherboard problem to me...

Could be. I guess an easy fix would be to use an ISA display adapter.
It doesn't matter what the card is since there isn't going to be
a monitor attached anyway. I just happened to have two PCI cards
handy so I tried with them.

> For reference, some PnP motherboards ask a PnP video subsystem to
> check what type of monitor is connected as part of their PCI
> initialisation

I know. The BIOS makes an awful lot of beeps while booting if there
is no monitor connected, but I disabled display detection from
the BIOS setup. It didn't help with the original problem though.

> The only cure I know of for that is to change the video card.

Like I said, I'll try that as soon as I can.

> That's usually rather easier to fix - go into your ROM BIOS setup,
> find the option determining what errors to stop on, and change it to
> "None". The default is usually "All except keyboard", and the machine
> will lock up if it can't find a video card on that setting.

No, no, no. Looks like a lot of people have trouble understanding the
situation: LILO DOES BOOT, so it's _NOT_ the BIOS. Without a monitor,
I can hear the memory test tick and then the bootup beep. Then LILO
boots, loads the kernel image and decompresses it, but hangs after
trying to boot the kernel until I plug in a monitor. After that it
boots up fine. I tried with various configurations of 2.2.4 and
2.2.5. No change.

-=[ Count Zero / TBH - Jussi Hämäläinen - email count@theblah.org ]=-