Re: GNU/Linux

Bob Taylor (brtaylor@inreach.com)
Thu, 01 Apr 1999 00:26:55 -0800

In message <199904010654.XAA03661@wijiji.santafe.edu>, Richard Stallman
writes:
cc: jake@nodomainname.net, grep@oriole.sbay.org, andyc@andyc.carenet.org,
linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> People sometimes use the term "operating system design" to mean the
> design of kernels. However, for decades, when I've heard people talk
> about operating systems such as Unix, Multics, ITS, VMS, OS/360, or
> even Microsoft Windows, they generally did meant the whole collection
> of software, not just the kernel.

Richard,

AFAIK, Linux is the *first* OS that started out as a kernel only. All
of the userland was added. Therefore, as you remark, people will think
of Linux as a Linux OS because historically that has been the case.

You, as well as the FSF, have had more than your share of recognition.
Recognition is also given in the Linux sources. Your continual asking
for renaming Linux distributions to GNU/Linux is becoming tiresome and
childish. The only OS you have any right whatsoever to name is your own,
the HURD. I find asking companies who are pouring their own funds into
Linux development, such as Red Hat, SUSE and Caldera to change the name of
their *distribution* offensive.

Please stop this nonsence. You are beginning to make a fool of yourself.

Bob

| Bob Taylor             Email: brtaylor@inreach.com            |
| Like the ad says, at 300 dpi you can tell she's wearing a     |
| swimsuit. At 600 dpi you can tell it's wet. At 1200 dpi you   |
| can tell it's painted on. I suppose at 2400 dpi you can tell  |
| if the paint is giving her a rash. (So says Joshua R. Poulson)|