Re: PF_INET6 on non-ipv6 kernels

John Gardiner Myers (jgmyers@netscape.com)
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 18:27:51 -0800

kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:
> For us it is standard of our lucky future in the best case,
> Linux IPv6 does not comply to this.

I hope Linux IPv6 picks this up fairly soon.

To summarize, at whatever time Linux is ready to declare its IPv6
support "stable" (as opposed to "experimental"), it would be of great
benefit to applications developers if they could rely on being able to
use the IPv6 basic socket API in order to access IPv4. This could be
accomplished by either combining IPv6 and IPv4 under the same option, or
separating the IPv6 API from the option for the IPv6 protocol.