Re: Linux Makefile uses 'ls', causes problems with color-ls (PATCH)

Mitchell Blank Jr (mitch@execpc.com)
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 16:54:27 -0600

Chris Wedgwood wrote:
> > Unless you specifically alias ls as 'ls --color=no' it will generate
> > color.
>
> 'ls --color=tty' will produce colour only with stdout points to a
> [pseudo]tty.

It's '--color=auto' or "color tty" in /etc/DIR_COLORS
Richard - what distribution are you using that ISN'T like this? If you
have ls using colors in the non-tty case a lot of shell scripts
break. Non-tty ls (like "/bin/ls|cat") has a very well defined output
format since the 70s, and lots of things count on that format.

I have Redhat and Debian handy and they both seem to do the right thing.

-Mitch