Re: (no more) Solid freezes with 2.2.4

Chris Mauritz (ritz@newritz.mordor.net)
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 03:13:53 -0500 (EST)

> From owner-linux-smp-outgoing@vger.rutgers.edu Tue Mar 30 03:05:25 1999
>
> Dave Cinege wrote:
> >
> > 2.2.4 ran a few hours fine yesterday. Today it lasted 12 hours, then
> > a solid freeze. I was loading a remote X window when it happened.
> > No HD access present at all. No FPU, compiling, etc or otherwise heavy load.
>
> Well I've been running since the 25th without a single crash.
> I recompiled the kernel with MTRR's turned off. (NO other changes)
> Kooky.

I've also been running 2.2.4 on a Redhat 5.2 system running on a relatively
busy Compaq 1850R (dual PII-450) for a couple of days. No crashes or
unexpected behaviour. It's really really fast. My seat of the pants method
of real world performance measurement is to time the compilation of a
piggy program like emacs. Snarfing emacs-20.3 and doing a make -j all,
completed the task in 57 seconds. Yow! That's more than 2.5X as fast
as the dual PPro-200 850R's that I had been using at the office. And it
probably could have been faster. The limiting factor seemed to be the
system waiting for disk IO to complete (on a pair of hot swappable
4.3gig 7200rpm drives).

Christopher Mauritz
ritz@mordor.net