Re: PF_INET6 on non-ipv6 kernels

Magnus Ahltorp (map@stacken.kth.se)
30 Mar 1999 06:31:24 +0200

> I am requesting that when IPv6 is not compiled in, the call still
> succeed, returning a socket which only handles sin6_addr's in the
> "IPv4-mapped IPv6 address" format defined in section 2.4.4 of RFC 1884.
> (It should also accept as input the Unspecified Address and the Loopback
> Address.)

I have not seen any consensus on any IPv6 mailing lists for this
behaviour, and not any reports on how other OS APIs work. IPv4-mapped
IPv6 addresses are a feature of the IPv6 API. If you don't enable the
IPv6 API, you will not be able to use its features.

A much more valid request is to enable IPv6 by default in the
kernel. I really hope that the common Linux distributions will
distribute their default kernel with IPv6 enabled. AIX is already
there, among others.

/Magnus