Re: `Out of memory for cc1' in linux-2.2.4 (fwd)

Zlatko Calusic (Zlatko.Calusic@CARNet.hr)
29 Mar 1999 14:59:43 +0200

Andrea Arcangeli <andrea@e-mind.com> writes:

> >Today I experienced the same problem. Few applications died in short
> >burst, but in my case they were NOT interconnected. One of them was
> >klogd so I don't have log excerpt to attach. But I found this:
> >
> >Mar 23 02:24:55 atlas kernel: Out of memory for gnome-name-serv.
> >
> >Looks like we have some trouble somewhere.
>
> Did you added the b_count = 0 in bforget() (buffer.c)? If not search for a
> patch posted by Linus on the list. Such bug in 2.2.4 could cause proggy to
> go oom after deleting large files.

Yeah, sure. Even in 2.2.4-pre6 I noticed lots of unused buffers
floating around, so I applied the patch as soon as Linus issued
it. It's definitely needed.

> >Could it be connected to the recent change in inode memory allocation
> >algorithm (two instead of one page at a time)?
>
> Definitely no. To be paranoid enough you could show me your
> /proc/sys/fs/inode-state though ;).

I doubt it's the inode allocation that makes trouble, too, but it was
a desperate effort to explain things. :)

Problem with "Out of memory ..." errors is that they're very rare, so
it's hard to track the real reason. Probably we need some debugging
printk's at strategic places throughout kernel to see what's producing
bad behaviour.

> Andrea Arcangeli
>
> PS. Thanks again to MikeG for forwarding these emails while the list
> was down here ;).

List was down here too. I was panicking for two days. :)

--
Zlatko