Re: OOPS in NTFS [linux 2.2.3]

Joseph Malicki (malicki.1@osu.edu)
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 02:24:35 -0500

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, David Howells wrote:
> I discovered crond/updatedb had four outstanding find programs all hanging in
> the "D" state whilst searching my NT partition. I then discovered the
> an oops in the dmesg log and ran it through ksymoops and attached the output.

This oops was discussed a while ago. NTFS runs out of memory, and doesnt
check the kmalloc. It was fixed by Steve Dodd and is in 2.2.3ac?, and i THINK
2.2.4. The new version of NTFS (990323) also fixes this.

As far as NTFS running out of memory, to make it use memory more lightly would
require somewhat radical rewrites of much of the code, and probably won't come
soon... :(

Joseph Malicki