Re: GNU/Linux

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 00:43:05 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 28 Mar 1999, Gerard Roudier wrote:

>> It wouldn't be right to use the term "GNU Linux", because that would
>> mean either "GNU's version of Linux" or "Linux, which is a GNU
>> program". Those meanings don't fit the facts. "GNU/Linux" does fit.
>
>The most popular Linux based O/S is "RedHat Linux" nowadays, that, btw,
>seem not to contain a RedHat version of the Linux kernel, but may let
>think, as you pointed out, that Linux is a RedHat program.

Actually, RedHat does distribute their own version of the kernel.
It is a modified kernel which includes PCMCIA, modular sound, and
several other patches. So I guess we could look at it as the
RedHat kernel...

>If people and companies that make O/Ses out of Linux, GNU tools, X package
>and some other major free softwares have decided to ignore name of some
>major components of their O/S, it should well be due to some strong
>reasons. Probably, they must choose a good name, short enough, for their
>product for marketing issues and it seems that they decided that "Linux"
>was better than either "GNU", "X", or both "GNU" and "X".

I agree with all of this too, and I prefer to just say "Linux"
myself as well. I do believe however that GNU deserves much
credit that is not given due to the lack of the average person's
understanding of the whole picture. It would be nice to see more
people credit GNU for their contributions to the community. I
doubt we'll see it in the form GNU/Linux though, and I personally
would prefer some other form of credit given. More GNU advocacy
perhaps. I try to do my small part in my sig file...

--
Mike A. Harris                   Linux advocate      GNU advocate
Computer Consultant                          Open Source advocate

The DVORAK keyboard layout RULES! I memorized it in 45 minutes and I don't think I'm ever going back to QWERTY!