Re: swapon crashes computer

Kurt Garloff (K.Garloff@ping.de)
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 00:33:09 +0200

--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ

On Sat, Mar 27, 1999 at 06:21:20PM +0100, Manfred Spraul wrote:
> I remember that there was a thread a while ago that set_blocksize()
> clears the contents of a ramdisk, and I'm sure that get/set_blocksize()
> will cause problem if the computer is not idle.

I was the one who spotted the problem with mounting a MSDOS fs on a ramdisk
destroying its contents.
After SCT pointed me to the reason, I implemented a workaround and posted it
here.

The problem with curing this problem on the one side is that a lot of
functions like set_blocksize() don't return anything telling the caller what
happened, so you can't handle problems in upper levels ...

I didn't even think of synchronization problem in MP environments.

I think, Steven is the right persons to discuss this with.

--=20
Dipl.Phys. Kurt Garloff <kurt@garloff.de> [Dortmund, FRG]
Plasma physics, high perf. computing [Linux-ix86,-axp, DUX]
PGP key: see mailheader / key servers [Linux SCSI driver: DC390]

--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ

--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ--