Re: Linux kernel 2.2.4 and lilo

Thomas Wouters (thomas@xs4all.nl)
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 00:12:14 +0200

On Sun, Mar 28, 1999 at 02:39:00PM -0500, DHASSEL@umassd.edu wrote:

> I just compiled the latest kernel 2.2.4 OK but when I 'make zlilo' I get a
> message about the kernel being too big and should try bzImage or modules. I
> do a 'make bzImage' OK I think but now what do I do? Why is my kernel too big
> for lilo? I looked in the FAQs about problems like this but found nothing.

Use 'make bzlilo' to get the same effect as 'make zlilo' but with a kernel
that can be bigger than 640kb. The reason is probably well known, the '640kb
should be enough for everyone' reason, and the bzImage kernel image (which
is used by 'make bzlilo') uses a different bootstrapping technique, making
it possible to have a bigger kernel.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>