Re: GNU/Linux stance by Richard Stallman

Sun, 28 Mar 1999 16:12:29 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 28 Mar 1999, Immanuel Litzroth wrote:

> Richard> The last time I checked, GNU made a bunch of tools. If I
> Richard> build a house, I'll be damned if I'm going to put
> Richard> Sears/Johnson on my mailbox. -- Or Home Despot (sic) for
> Richard> that matter.
>
> I am interested to find out where you will get *free* tools for building
> and maintaining your house.
> Immanuel

Tell you what; If I happen to find them on the 'Web' I'll use them
if, and only if, they are any good. And, if I do find them on the
'Web', my name still goes on the mailbox.

Many of us who have been working with software since it was first
called software (the exception being COBOL, which never claimed to
be software), remember having to use tools made by 1200AD, Borland,
Microsoft, Trueax, Intel, Micro-Designs, Digital, etc., etc.
Believe me, I never used those names in a description of my software
--and I never will. I can't imagine such a requirement. It is absurd,
plain and simple.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.2.4 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).