Re: 2.2.4 and GCD-R580B IDE CD-ROM

Jens Axboe (axboe@image.dk)
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 16:39:34 +0200

On Sun, Mar 28 1999, Matthias Barnutz wrote:
> Since Kernel 2.2.4, I have problems with the GCD-R580B IDE CD-ROM
> (Goldstar). YaST, the setup tool of the SuSE Distribution, breaks while
> reading the package descriptions. I'm sorry, but I have no real error
> description, because the kernel doesn't report an error. This is the
> output from YaST:
>
> *** ERROR: [PkgRetriever 1 (1)
> [IFile "/var/adm/mount/suse/setup/descr/common.pkd" at 159516 of
> 831439 : OPEN [ GOOD ]
> [IFile "/var/adm/mount/suse/setup/descr/german.pkd" at 180413 of
> 837285 : OPEN [ GOOD ]
> ]
> xibod.rpm<->speakf.rpm
> Different sequence in COMM <-> LANG file
> ErrorReport:Sun Mar 28 14:31:13 1999
> ERROR: Unknown Error!, DETAIL: 0 FILE: PkgRetriever.cc LINE: 486
> In CursesEnd()
>
> With kernel 2.2.3 and any prior kernel the problem doesn't exist. The
> error is reproducible, and switching back to 2.2.3 solves the problem.

Couldn't you try and (i.e.) md5sum the contents of the files both
in kernel 2.2.3 and 2.2.4 to see if the CD-ROM reads the files
correctly? I don't run suse, but redhat's package manager correctly
scans the packages on the three drives I have connect right now.

--
*  Jens Axboe <axboe@image.dk>
*  Linux CD-ROM Maintainer