Re: [OFFTOPIC] optimized disks drives from quantum

Matthew Jacob (mjacob@feral.com)
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 10:07:44 -0800 (PST)

> On Tue, Mar 23, 1999 at 10:46:15AM -0800, Matthew Jacob wrote:
> > Absolutely. They don't do thermal recal. And remember, that for video
> > applications, a lost frame here and there is irrelevant.
>
> Oh my no. I work in this industry. Much of the work is using
> uncompressed source frames. A lost frame can be a serious problem
> when editing and when converting formats. I had thought that this a/v
> thing disappeared about six years ago when the internal drive
> controller performance increased sufficiently to permit the device to
> recal while transferring at the rated throughput. I'd speculate that
> these drives are meant for the real-time capture/DVD conversion market
> where the drive is only a buffer. Once the video is compressed, I'd
> hesitate to keep it on one of these 'a/v' drives.

Well, I'll defer to you on this.... All I remember was when I worked at
Kubota years ago and was doing a driver for a TurboChannel card that sent
a 100MB/s stream of intermixed data and graphics commands to an offboard
rendering box- they seemed blithely unconcerned about lost data (like
attempting to do VM mapping at interrupt level in OSF/1 and, hey, if
pmap_enter failed, just send whatever you pointed to.....tha's cool,
bro....)

-matt