Re: [OFFTOPIC] optimized disks drives from quantum

Oscar Levi (elf@buici.com)
Sat, 27 Mar 1999 20:46:09 -0800

On Tue, Mar 23, 1999 at 10:46:15AM -0800, Matthew Jacob wrote:
> Absolutely. They don't do thermal recal. And remember, that for video
> applications, a lost frame here and there is irrelevant.

Oh my no. I work in this industry. Much of the work is using
uncompressed source frames. A lost frame can be a serious problem
when editing and when converting formats. I had thought that this a/v
thing disappeared about six years ago when the internal drive
controller performance increased sufficiently to permit the device to
recal while transferring at the rated throughput. I'd speculate that
these drives are meant for the real-time capture/DVD conversion market
where the drive is only a buffer. Once the video is compressed, I'd
hesitate to keep it on one of these 'a/v' drives.