Re: GNU/Linux stance by Richard Stallman

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Sat, 27 Mar 1999 20:32:35 -0500 (EST)

Oliver Xymoron writes:
> On Sun, 28 Mar 1999, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 26, 1999 at 10:59:01AM -0500, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

>>> Check out /bin/false sometime. It is almost 100% bloat.
>>
>> This is why I wrote my own true, false and sync. Sadly, I've only
>> done x86 and alpha so far:
>>
>> 8048074: bb 00 00 00 00 movl $0x0,%ebx
>> 8048079: cd 80 int $0x80
>
> This is just as much bloat, if you count the extra 1017 bytes
> this takes on a typical filesystem. And you've broken portability!

It is much less bloat, since the shell overhead is gone.
You might not save disk space, but you save memory and CPU cycles.
With a Reiserfs partition, you would even save disk space.