Re: [OFFTOPIC] distribution of distributions

John Kodis (kodis@jagunet.com)
Sat, 27 Mar 1999 16:29:33 -0500

On Sat, Mar 27, 1999 at 06:17:11AM -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:

> Recent news articles about the following operating systems:
>
> Linux 128000 59%
> Windows98 7500 3%
> WindowsNT 2000 1%
> [ ... snip ... ]
> Still, it is surprising how little discussion there is about
> Windows. Perhaps that is because people use a different keyword to
> describe windows and I didn't find that...

I repeated the experiment, and Deja News found 434647 articles about
windows, and 175693 articles about linux. Even if we assume that half
of the windows articles are about things like storm windows, X
windows, and submarine windows, that still leaves more discussion of
windows than of linux.

I was surprised by how close the linux discussion level is to windows
(less than a 3:1 spread), and by how relatively little discussion
there seems to be about other unix variants. Interesting little
survey. Thanks for passing it along.

-- John Kodis.