Re: Determination of machine lockups

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Sat, 27 Mar 1999 13:16:24 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Tony Hoyle wrote:

>> I'm running 2.0.36, and have been using it since it came out.
>> Just recently I installed VMWARE beta, and recompiled my kernel
>> to have a few features that VMWARE requires. I had a few lockups
>> while using vmware, and I immediately attributed them to the
>> product itself since it uses 2 provided kernel modules.
>>
>> The product worked just fine, however after a while my machine
>> would 100% freeze, with nothing in the logfiles at all. No way
>> of determining exactly what it was.
>
>I have had this. It is a bug in vmware, although I haven't worked
>out what precisely causes it. The solution is to put a CDROM in the
>drive. It locks up because Windows polls /dev/cdrom regularly and
>seems to die randomly if it can't do so.

Yep, I found that out too. My machine is coincidentally locking
up in any OS right now though, and I've removed vmware and all of
its modules, etc...

Unfortunately, my problem is not just a vmware thing.

>Since I put a CDROM in the drive I have had NT workstation running in
>a window for over 24 hours without a hitch.

24 hours? WOW! That is great! when I get my system lockup
tracked down, hopefully I can expect a nice vm uptime like that
too!

Take care,
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                   Linux advocate      GNU advocate
Computer Consultant                          Open Source advocate

The DVORAK keyboard layout RULES! I memorized it in 45 minutes and I don't think I'm ever going back to QWERTY!