Re: PCI 64 bit board on PCI 32 bit connector.

Sat, 27 Mar 1999 13:31:35 +0100 (MET)

On Sat, 27 Mar 1999, Doug Ledford wrote:

> Gerard Roudier wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I want to use a 64 bit PCI board on my system which uses an ASUS P2L97
> > mother board. The PCI specs says a 64 bit PCI board should plug gracefully
> > into a 32 bit PCI connector, but it does not.
> >
> > The problem seems to be due to the following:
> >
> > PCI 32 recommended connector:
> >
> > | |--------------...-----------| |
> > >-< 1.27 [.050] mm
> >
> > PCI 32 connector of the PL297 MotherBoard:
> >
> > | |--------------...-----------| |
> > >-< >= 1.80 mm (measured +- 1mm)
> >
> > If somebody could confirm that or let me know if I may have missed
> > something important, this will help me.
>
> I've been using 64bit PCI cards in my Intel DK440LX motherboard for
> quite some time, so I suspect you are right that the problem is the MB
> connector and not the card :)

Indeed. My measures indicates that the board is fine. Only the above is
wrong and prevents the board from being inserted. I also have received
several private replies that confirm what I suspected.

I will politely ask ASUS to deliver me conformant stuff for free or to
reimburse me. It is not a question of money even I paid for it. I just
hate to waste time because of people that only target Microsoft shitware
when designing hardware and assume that we are all either stupid enough or
rich enough to change our hardware twice each year.

Regards,
Gérard.