Re: smbfs still timing out

Eloy A. Paris (eparis@ven.ra.rockwell.com)
26 Mar 1999 21:34:07 GMT

I have seen this here too, and also when doing an ls on the root
directory of my NT box. The page file is locked or something so
whatever smbfs is trying to do with the file at the moment of a ls, it
gets an error from NT.

peloy.-

Michael H. Warfield <mhw@wittsend.com> wrote:
> mev0003@unt.edu enscribed thusly:
>
> [...]
>
>> Ok, I tried the inline password form, and it is still mounted, except
>> pagefile.sys is inaccessible. Hmm, really wanted to screw with my NT
>> box's paging. ;) (j/k). I last mounted that partition this morning,
>> when I sent my last message. So, I guess this would really be a samba
>> problem, and not a kernel problem.
>
> Still a bit early to tell, but it does look that way, yes...
>
>> However, I really don't like entering the password that way. A grep on
>> .bash_history for the password is plenty of reason for *that* little
>> bias! Too bad there's not a way to alert bash that a particular string
>> is actually a password, and that that string shouldn't be kept in
>> ~/.bash_history.
>
> Use the environment mechanism or command substitution? You defeat
> the history problem a couple of ways if you are really worried about that...
>
> Examples:
>
> # eval `cat`
> export PASSWD=foo
> ^D
>
> Or on the command line the same way...
>
> # smbmount //server/foo `cat` .....
> export PASSWD=foo
> ^D
>
> Yeah, it's a kludge, but it will help out while I figure out WTF
> is still busted...
>
>> --
>> Matthew Vanecek
>> Studies in Business Computers at the University of North Texas
>> http://www.unt.edu/bcis
>> Visit my Website at http://people.unt.edu/~mev0003
>> For 93 million miles, there is nothing between the sun and my shadow
>> except me. I'm always getting in the way of something...
>
> Mike
> --
> Michael H. Warfield | (770) 985-6132 | mhw@WittsEnd.com
> (The Mad Wizard) | (770) 925-8248 | http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/
> NIC whois: MHW9 | An optimist believes we live in the best of all
> PGP Key: 0xDF1DD471 | possible worlds. A pessimist is sure of it!
>

> -

Eloy A. Paris Information Technology Department Rockwell Automation Venezuela Telephone: +58-2-9432311 Fax: +58-2-9431645