Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #3586

Jeffrey B. Siegal (jbs@quiotix.com)
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 11:26:59 -0800

owner-linux-kernel-digest@vger.rutgers.edu wrote:
> From: Eduardo Soriano <e_soriano@dapsys.ch>
> Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 11:22:23 +0100
> Subject: Timer problem
>
> One has no timer problem, meanwhile two other systems are going back
> by 15 minutes a day.
>
> These motherboards are Asus P2B-D/P2B-DS Dual Pentium.

This appears to be a hardware problem. It happens under Windows as
well. (Though in my case the system is about 30 minutes/day fast, so
there is a slim chance the problems are different.) Swapping the
motherboard did not resoove it. My troubleshooter is currently talking
to ASUS. It might be helpful if you contact ASUS with your problem as
well, both to provide more evidence that might help them track down the
problem, and to let them know know how widespread the problem is.

> We can turn around this problem installing a networked timer server based on
> nist package from frank@icce.rug.nl

Time servers will cover up the problem to some degree but will not work
properly on such as system because they are designed for the maximum
specified timer error of 100 parts per million.

Please let me know if you learn anything.