Re: Linux 2.2.4ac1

Matthew Vanecek (mev0003@unt.edu)
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 11:00:16 -0600

Thomas Wouters wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 26, 1999 at 09:25:10AM -0600, Matthew Vanecek wrote:
>
> > Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > > Linux 2.2.4ac1 change notes
>
> > [snip]
> > > o K6 MTRR support
>
> > Not to demonstrate my monumental ignorance (oops, too late!), but what
> > is that? I've a K6-2/3D-Now. Is this something to take advantage of
> > that? I know the latest as supports the 3D-Now (had to get it to
> > compile the latest mpg123). Is this something to support 3D-Now?
>
> No, it's not for 3DNow! :) See /usr/src/linux/Documentation/mtrr.txt. I use
> it at work (Pentium II) but I dont know how well it works with K6es, at home
> (AMD K6-2) it Oopses. (Alan has it, right, Alan ?)

Hmm, read the Documentation. Now there's a novel idea!! ;) Ok, I will

> > If not, is anybody working on K6 optimization? Or is it even an issue
> > in the kernel?
>
> There is some optimization, i think, but it's mostly for instruction
> alignment which is the same as for normal pentiums (correct me if i'm wrong,
> anyone.) As for 3DNow! support or optimization, it's not much of a kernel
> issue, i believe, because of the nature of the new opcodes.

Well, as soon as I finish my intermediate C tutorial (why don't they
teach C in CIS anymore?? Bah, VB and VC++ are the name of the game now.
COBOL was pretty interesting, though...), I'll look into it some
myself. I used the linux-3dnow makefile when I compiled mpg123 .59q,
but haven't really seen anything else that (claims to) take advantage of
it. Perhaps soon I can contribute more than comments and complaints.
Unless anyone wants help writing portions of the kernel in COBOL? or IBM
mainframe assembly? No? oh, well, back to the tutorial...

--
Matthew Vanecek
Studies in Business Computers at the University of North Texas