Re: Slow TCP connections between 2.2.3 and HP-UX B.10.20 A 9000/800

Pete Wyckoff (pw@dancer.ca.sandia.gov)
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 11:13:39 -0800

On Thu, Mar 25, 1999 at 09:50:59AM -0800, bwoodard@cisco.com wrote:
> I believe that I am seeing some sort of bad interaction between Linux
> 2.2.3 and HP-UX B.10.20 A. The symptoms are that the _ALL_ TCP
> connections from this one HP-UX box to the Linux 2.2.3 machine proceed
> very slowly. i.e. 16-50Kb/s We first observed the problem with LPD but
> it is easily reproducable using FTP.
>
> Both machines are lightly loaded and on very fast relativively
> unloaded switched networks and are only seperated by one router. (The
> network is good; this is Cisco ;->)

Well, you've got at least four dropped data segments in that little bit
of the trace. Figure out where the packets get dropped and why, then
once that is worked out you can work on the TCP protocols. It certainly
can't be the router's fault :).

TCP is just doing the best it can under the circumstances. But you
should see similar droppage with other kernels.

-- Pete