Re: 2.2.4 and token ring

Craig B Agricola (agricolc@btv.ibm.com)
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 08:41:10 -0500

Hi Derick,
I'm sorry that this may not be a solution, but sharing the
information may help us recognize the pattern that is the cause
to all our problems. I use IBM token ring adapters here at work
(of course, since I work for IBM), and the token ring code was
working flawlessly under 2.2.2 until about two weeks ago (though
I have a bad sence of time, so maybe it was longer... or shorter...)
Then, for no reason that I could determine, the kernel would
lock up with infinitely repeated messages about failed slab allocation
for the skbuffers. This would happen maybe five minutes after I
insmod'ed the ibmtr.o module, and it is always unrecoverable (besides
the fact that I couldn't really use the console, since I had an
infinite stream of printk's telling me that it couldn't allocate
memory to put the newly arrived network packet in.) The interface
didn't even need to be configured for the problem to manifest;
just installing the module would cause it after it had recieved
enough packets.
Now, I have tried going through the ibmtr.o module's code, and
I can't see an obvious hole in the skb allocation. I am sure that
we have a high amount of network broadcasts here (I can see this
just by compiling ibmtr.o with TR_VERBOSE defined) because there are
a lot of Winblows machines here with NetBUI running over TCP/IP.
I don't know if many people else where have seen this happening,
but I know of at least a few other people here in IBM (at different
sites even) that are having the same problem.
Here's the setup of the machine, if it helps...
[Originally a Slackware install]
Kernel: 2.2.4
modutils: 2.1.121
net-tools: 1.50

And the repeating message of death:
kmem_alloc: Bad slab magic (corrupt) (name=size-128)
tr0: out of memory. frame dropped.

I hope that we can pool information about what might be going
on with the TR code and get it fixed soon.

-Craig

--
 Craig B. Agricola    W: (802) 769-4636
  Work Related Email: agricolc@btv.ibm.com