Re: NetGear FA310TX/tulip.c

Barrett G. Lyon (blyon@netpr.com)
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 18:10:01 -0600

Not only do I like the NetGear 310TX card, but I feel that it works as well
or better than others. I use them in my DEC Alpha systems and they do the
job (error/speed wise). Anyway NetGear has written drivers for this card
themselves. It is released under the GNU public license.

>From NetGear's tulip.c driver:

/* tulip.c: A DEC 21040-family ethernet driver for Linux. */
/*

This software may be used and distributed according to the terms
of the GNU Public License, incorporated herein by reference.

This driver is for the Digital "Tulip" ethernet adapter interface.
It should work with most DEC 21*4*-based chips/ethercards, as well as
PNIC and MXIC chips.

This program was originally written and maintained by Donald Becker
who may be reached at becker@CESDIS.gsfc.nasa.gov, or C/O Center
of Excellence in Space Data and Information Sciences Code 930.5,
Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt MD 20771.

The program is further modified and customized for use in the
Netgear FA310TX series of Fast Ethernet PCI adapter cards. For
customer support, please call your local Netgear technical support.
*/

static const char version[] = "tulip.c:v0.89K 8/8/98 Originally written by
becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov\nDriver modified by Netgear for
FA310TX\nNetgear technical support: support@netgear.matrixx.net\n";

diffing the driver aginst the standard tulip.c you will see a LOT of
changes. I use the NetGear tulip.c on my systems and I am very happy. Not
to mention performance changes between the standard tulip.c and the NetGear
version. Jumbo frame sizes.. etc. I think Alan's idea to make the NetGear
version of tulip.c seperate is a cool one.

-B