Re: Integrated MCA SCSI controller support in 2.2.x

David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se)
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 08:15:06 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Spirilis wrote:

> I was wondering what the current status of MCA support in 2.2.x is. I have
> just tried 2.2.4 with this IBM PS/2 Model 56 I have here, and noticed that
> the Integrated SCSI controller driver still does not work. So far I've got
> it to work using 2.0.35 dropping in two files, "ibmmca.c.lang" and
> "ibmmca.h.lang" from the glycerine.itsmm.uni.edu(sp?) ftp site. Of all
> kernels I had built, that was the only one that worked--however, the ethernet
> card driver appears to not be working correctly for the 3c523 card (it _does_
> detect it, though). For this reason I was considering 2.2.x kernels.

Well, the support for IBM's SCSI controllers in v2.2.x is very buggy.
Michael Lang has put a tremendous lot of work into making a working
version available, and hopefully there will be one soon.

3c523 should work in v2.2.x; I don't know about v2.0.x with the
mca-patches.

> Any of the MCA developers able to reply to this post? I'd also be willing
> to test any 2.2.x patches out. I compile these kernels on a P166MMX machine
> (my main machine, PCI/ISA-based) so compiling shouldn't be any trouble.

We mainly need help testing on other models than model 9556; still, I'll
send you things to test from time to time if that's ok...

/David Weinehall, maintainer of the MCA-support
_ _
// David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </