Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: disk head scheduling

Marc Lehmann (pcg@goof.com)
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 14:29:41 +0100

On Fri, Mar 19, 1999 at 11:49:17PM -0500, Arvind Sankar wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 19, 1999 at 10:39:50PM -0500, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> > > Who's talking about optimizing based on phony geometries? Did you read what
> > > I wrote?
> >
> > You just wrote it. Even though I worked for a major disk manufacturer
> > I don't know what you will say in the future.
>
> This is getting silly. I can't understand where you get the idea that I was

In case nobody noticed yet, he said "worked" (note the past tense). He has
explained publicly that he has no clue at all.

In fact, what he said was is true for many of the original IDE drives (but
not all of them). His knowledge is only useful, however, for drives that
are eight years or older.

You can safely ignore him.

Richard, if you listen, please try to check some facts before you try to
correct people. I know that you have great knowledge, but most of it is just
antique, believe it or not: the technology CAN change in a few years.

You would help us much more if you tried to get up-to-date before posting.
Combining the up-to-date information with your older knowledge might help
us all to avoid bugs.

Thanks.

--