Re: PS/2 ports and X

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 14:27:42 -0500 (EST)

John Fulmer writes:

> After upgrading to the 2.1.x series some time ago, I have been having
> sporatic problems with various PS/2 mice freezing in X after moving from
> a virtual terminal to X and back again. The cursor goes to the upper
> right hand corner and is extremely erratic when the mouse is moved, if
> it moves at all. The only recourse is to reset X, which is not always
> possible.

I had a PS/2 mouse freeze with 2.2.3. My freeze was not related to virtual
console switching.

Replugging the mouse did not help.

I run gpm on /dev/psaux, and feed the X server off of /dev/gpmdata.
I was able to restore the mouse by killing and restarting gpm.

The gpm daemon is run as: gpm -R -t ps2 -3 -m /dev/psaux

> This happens on my machine at home (FIC 503+; 2.2.3) and on my Toshiba
> Laptop (Tecra 8000; 2.2.3).

I have a plain motherboard: baby AT, Intel chipset, Socket 7, USB, DIMMs.
It came with a floppy for an "INTEL PIIX4 IDE BUS" driver.

The mouse is a 3-button M-series Logitech MouseMan.