Re: SVC error

Thierry Danis (danis@sagem.fr)
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 16:47:27 +0100

On Wed, Mar 24, 1999 at 01:40:29AM +0100, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> "Thomas E. Dodd /CSDC" <ted@cypress.com> writes:
>
> > I'm constantly getting this message
> > kernel: svc: unknown version (3)
> >
> > This is a RedHat 5.2 system upgraded to
> > 2.2.3 kernel with RedHat's upgrades and
> > Using knfs.
> >

> Check that you are starting 'rpc.kmountd' with the option
> '--no-nfs-version 3' and that 'rpcinfo -p' is giving you at least one
> line containing
>
> 100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
>
> Cheers,
> Trond

The knfsd 1.2 RPM package upgrades the rc script properly
so that it uses the "--no-nfs-version 3" parameter.

However, the machine still gets stuck for 10 minutes or more on the
rpc.kstatd when it reboots.

Another thing to put on the performance side is that rpc.kmountd
is jumping to 20%-30% CPU for a few seconds when an attempt is
done to mount a NFS partition of the server. At the same time,
the local ypserver is raising as well (30%-40%).
I guess that's due to the exportfs file :
/u0 @urd(rw)
/u1 @urd(rw)

Our netgroup map contains 174 entries, for a total of 42K
bytes. @urd has to recurse a bit to have the complete list
of the machines.

May that size explain the sometimes slow mount reaction
time (from two seconds to 5 or 6 seconds over a 100 Mb/s
link).

A+

--
	Thierry Danis