Re: io question

Murali Nagaraj (murali.n@tatainfotech.com)
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 18:21:52 +0800 (SST)

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Ryan Esty wrote:

> This is just a simple question I just don't have enough experience with
> low level device drivers to get this done.
>
> I have done work with msdos interrupt handlers but know I am switching
> over to linux. The program will compile fine but then when I insert it into
> the kernel it says it can't find ioperm or outb or anything dealing with
> io. It does find the interrupt stuff though like probe_irq_on and
> probe_irq_off. I just use a normal gcc -c fname.c to compile and insmod
> fname.o to insert the module. I am trying to do one of the snipets of
> code from the linux device drivers book by oreilly.
>
> Any help is appreciated sorry I had to ask such a simple question but I
> have no where else to turn to.

the problem *could* be with mismatched kernel versions .i.e the
kernel headers which you have used in your modules and the headers that
were used to compile the kernel running on your system are different.
if that is the case, then, you have to get the proper headers .i.e. the
ones that were used by your running kernel. you can risk a possible panic
by forcing module load using the ' -f' option of insmod.

out of curiosity, which 'snippet' are you trying to insert. i have
had no major problems with the O reilly examples.

cheers, action.

> -

Murali Nagaraj
Linux Support Team
Systems & Networking

Telephone: +91 (80) 528 4681 Ext 220 Ext 268
email: murali.n@tatainfotech.com