Re: [ONTOPIC] #!perl - alternative path to script interpreters

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
23 Mar 1999 21:23:41 -0800

In article <linux.kernel.199903231401.PAA12013@pallas.spacetec.no>,
Tor Arntsen <tor@spacetec.no> wrote:

>(I think the point must be that it should be portable, a linux-only solution
>just don't cut it.

Will the Linux kernel always be a meek follower of whatever the
standard of the week is, or will it contribute useful new things to
the state of the art for Unix systems?

I don't know about you, but I think that a Linux that meekly follows
the standards set by the other Unix vendors is a Linux that's going
to be stabbed repeatedly in the back whenever the other vendors feel
that they don't have enough market share.

A better question is 'is this a good thing to change?' If it's a
good thing to change, it will make its way into the baseline for
Unix, just like many other things have over the past 25 or so years.

____
david parsons \bi/ watch out about networking; that's pretty subversive.
\/