Re: DES module in kernel?

Malcolm Beattie (mbeattie@sable.ox.ac.uk)
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 10:09:51 +0000 (GMT)

Mike Eisler writes:
> So I may owe the ftp site maintainer an apology for terming his acquisition as
> illegal.

I've been (quietly) following the thread and hadn't notice that you
owed me an apology :-)

> Only he knows.

In fact, oddly enough, although I maintain ftp.ox.ac.uk, I *don't*
know. I'm a UK citizen, not a US citizen subject to US-internal law
and I certainly didn't export anything from the US. *Somebody*
(presumably) exported Kerberos5 by uploading it to our site but I
have no idea (nor do I particularly care) how that export was done.
I've read the licence on it and satisfied myself that I'm doing
nothing wrong in making it available for download (the licence
explicitly allows that and only restricts export from the US: I'm not
in the US so I can't be exporting it). I also have convinced myself
that no UK law prohibits me (at the moment) from making it available.
However, for pure paranoia and recognition that the US law sometimes
tries to exceed its authority and cause grief for non-US citizens, we
do generally discourage people from mentioning the site on highish
profile mailing lists. The reason I don't know anything about the
source of the kerb5 source is that, back until a year or so ago, I
co-maintained sable (a.k.a. ftp.ox.ac.uk) with a colleague and it was
he who looked after that part of the ftp area. Now he's moved
elsewhere and there have been no more mysterious krb5 appearances
since then. (Oh, I also know that it wasn't he that exported it.)

This is completely off-topic for linux-kernel, really, but since it
was my site that was brought up I thought I ought to clarify things.

--Malcolm

--
Malcolm Beattie <mbeattie@sable.ox.ac.uk>
Unix Systems Programmer