Re: Two new versions of procps

Michael K. Johnson (johnsonm@redhat.com)
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 08:19:53 -0500

"Steven N. Hirsch" writes:
>The last time I tried Albert's version of procps, it broke all the RedHat
>SysV scripts. I'll take another look at it now, though.

It still will, even with that bug fixed. procps 1.2.x use the h flag to
turn off header generation; Albert's version tries to implement every flag
ever available under any version of ps ever made (correct me if I am wrong,
Albert) and so h is overloaded -- turn off all header generation (specific
to old procps) and generate a header every page (long-time BSD meaning)
and he tries to distinguish between the two based on whether standard in
is a tty. Unfortunately, most scripts, including init scripts, run with
standard in being a tty, so the distinguisher doesn't work.

We're working on resolving this...

michaelkjohnson