Re: mkfifo in 2.0.36 NFS client

Ion Badulescu (ionut@moisil.cs.columbia.edu)
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 08:51:26 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> I was searching for some doc/specs about NFSv2 in altavista (hints?) while
> I _incidentally_ ;) seen this page:
>
> http://www.funet.fi/pub/Linux/PEOPLE/Linus/v2.1/patch-html/patch-2.1.118/linux_fs_nfs_dir.c.html
>
> It's 2.1.118 and reverts the 2.0.36 changes in the 2.1.x tree, so I guess
> I am not been the only one that had problems with such bit of code...

I don't know what Linus based his judgment on, but it's very simple. We
have the option to continue doing fifo's in NFSv2 the wrong way and be
incompatible with everyone else, and the option to fix our code and be
compatible. Which one would you choose.

BTW even with unfsd the behavior (from a client's point of view) should be
ok, i.e. even though a chrdev was created on the server, the client sees
it as a fifo. In other words, the only failing case is "root creates a
fifo on the client over nfs to unfsd and a user on the server tries to use
that fifo and sees a chrdev". Please let me know if there are more..

Ion

--
  It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
            than to open it and remove all doubt.