Re: bind 8.2 will not compile with Linux kernel 2.2.3

David Lang (dlang@diginsite.com)
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 00:57:57 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Alexander Viro wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, David Lang wrote:
>
> > bind 8.2 complains about /usr/include/linux/un.h
> > (which maps to /usr/src/linux/include/linux/un.h which is why I am
> > sending it to the linux kernel list as well as the bind-bugs list)
> > the exact error is
> >
> > gcc -O -g -I../../port/linux/include -I../../include -c pathnames.c
> > In file included from /usr/include/sys/un.h:1,
> > from pathnames.c:25:
> > /usr/include/linux/un.h:7: parse error before `sa_family_t'
>
> sa_family_t is used as type name (which it is) but gcc didn't see
> the corresponding typedef, so it stares at the body of struct definition
> and sees unknown identifier in the place where the type should be. For
> what gcc cares, it is not different from
> struct foo {
> undefined_name bar;
> }
> sa_family_t is defined in linux/socket.h *if* you insist on using
> the kernel headers at all.
> What's wrong with sys/un.h, BTW?

I will try and see what happens if I include socket.h as well. As far as I
can decipher from the error message linux/un.h was included in sys/un.h I
have no idea why

David Lang

> > /usr/include/linux/un.h:7: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
> > /usr/include/linux/un.h:9: parse error before `}'
> > make[2]: *** [pathnames.o] Error 1
> > make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/dlang/bind/src/bin/named'
> > make[1]: *** [named] Error 2
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/dlang/bind/src/bin'
> > make: *** [all] Error 2
> >
> > any suggestions? I am not seeing anything obviously wrong with un.h
> >
> > my system is slackware 3.5
> >
> > David Lang

"If users are made to understand that the system administrator's job is to
make computers run, and not to make them happy, they can, in fact, be made
happy most of the time. If users are allowed to believe that the system
administrator's job is to make them happy, they can, in fact, never be made
happy."
- -Paul Evans (as quoted by Barb Dijker in "Managing Support Staff", LISA '97)