Re: advansys problems on 2.2.x

Douglas Gilbert (dgilbert@interlog.com)
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 00:01:59 -0500

Keith Bennet wrote:

> i think this problem may have as much to do with my lack of SCSI
> knowledge as problems with the driver.
>
> i have an advansys controler card and a Philips CDD3600 cd-rewriter.
> whenever i do something stupid such as trying to read from a cd which
> isnt there or interrupting a read, it just freezes up. any subsequent
> call to the cd-writer fails and i just get a whole lot of garbage in
> my logs:
>
> Mar 16 12:25:56 appc-keith kernel: advansys: asc_isr_callback: scp is NULL
> Mar 16 12:25:56 appc-keith kernel: advansys: advansys_reset: reset request
> not active or waiting, completing anyway c037a000
> Mar 16 12:25:56 appc-keith kernel: scsi0: device driver called scsi_done()
> for a syncronous reset.
> Mar 16 12:26:06 appc-keith kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout
> : pid 63012, scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0 Prevent/Allow Medium Removal 00
> 00 00 00 00

Don't know what is really happening here but it looks like the mid
level ran out of memory when it tried to get heap for a
Scsi_Cmnd object, didn't check the result and passed the resulting
NULL pointer through to the low-level driver (advansys in this
case) that correctly complained. Bob Frey at Advansys is very
helpful (see the source) but my guess is it isn't his problem.

For what it's worth I have been bashing 3 varieties of advansys
adpaters (1540, 940ua and 940uw) quite severely since about
2.1.80 without any major problems.

> the only way of regaining control is to reboot. this is really
> irritating. is there any way to prevent this happening or to regain
> control *without* rebooting?
>
> whilst i'm on the subject - cdparanoia no longer works with 2.2.x.
> it used to work with 2.0.x.
> i now get the following error:
>
> SCSI transport: writeable when reading packet

Now this little number I know a lot about (cause I'm responsible
for it). You will get this if you use 2.2.2-ac6 or -ac7 or
2.2.3-ac1 with recent versions of cdparanoia. If you use
2.2.3-ac2 it should go away. Alternatively you can go to
http://www.netwinder.org/~dougg and get the appropriate sg
patch (you need 2.1.7 or later).

> any help would be ... err ... helpfull.

Hope this helps