Re: [OFFTOPIC]: MS Porting Office to Linux?

Philip Blundell (philb@gnu.org)
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 23:09:44 +0000

Richard B. Johnson wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Philip Blundell wrote:

>> It works for you because the dynamic linkers from glibc 2.0.6 and 2.0.7
>> are so similar; it doesn't really matter which one is used. If you try
>> to use a 2.1 ld.so with a 2.0.7 libc on the other hand, you will be in
>> trouble.
>
>The final coment on this is:
>
> ftp boneserver.analogic.com /pub/downloads/linux/strace.gz
>
>Shows the output from `strace` as it finds and maps the files it needs,
>using mine if it finds them first, and its files if it doesn't. This is
>unedited and shows that it works.

Did you actually read what I wrote above? It works with the particular
version of glibc that you happen to have installed, yes. It doesn't work with
the version that those people having problems are using, and if you install
that version it will stop working for you as well.

p.