Re: [OFFTOPIC]: MS Porting Office to Linux?

Tue, 16 Mar 1999 17:29:17 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Philip Blundell wrote:

> Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> >> this does not work reliably. using your configuration, staroffice
> >> still has to use the dynamic linker from /lib.
> >
> >Well there have been a lot of nay-sayers. However, I can assure you
> >that it should work, and does work. When shared-library code is
> [...]
> >Micro$garbage.doc files that I had been emailed, but hadn't read for
> >months. I have libc-5.2, libc-5.3 and glibc-2.0.6 library files.
>
> It works for you because the dynamic linkers from glibc 2.0.6 and 2.0.7 are so
> similar; it doesn't really matter which one is used. If you try to use a 2.1
> ld.so with a 2.0.7 libc on the other hand, you will be in trouble.

The final coment on this is:

ftp boneserver.analogic.com /pub/downloads/linux/strace.gz

Shows the output from `strace` as it finds and maps the files it needs,
using mine if it finds them first, and its files if it doesn't. This is
unedited and shows that it works.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.2.3 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).