Re: [OFFTOPIC]: MS Porting Office to Linux?

Marc Lehmann (pcg@goof.com)
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 23:41:29 +0100

On Tue, Mar 16, 1999 at 05:10:06PM -0500, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> > are so
> > similar; it doesn't really matter which one is used. If you try to use a 2.1
> > ld.so with a 2.0.7 libc on the other hand, you will be in trouble.
> >
> Hmmm..

Thats the wrong package. The dynamic linker comes with glibc.

> If a 'newer' ld.so doesn't work it is broken. This version works just
> fine with my multiple 'C' libraries.

Just that you are totally wrong again. It might be better asking qiestions
rather than just calling something broken, esp. if one does not have a
clue.

> So I should update it?? And if I do, it won't work? Is this the story?
> This one was updated in May of last year.

No, the story is that the dynamic linker for glibc is part of glibc.

> Its README states, in part; "... the main focus of this package is to
> ease the transition to libc6." They seem to have done just fine.

Jepp. It won't break if it has to use libc6 libraries together with libc5.

--