Re: mkfifo in 2.0.36 NFS client

Ion Badulescu (ionut@moisil.cs.columbia.edu)
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 16:59:40 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> > admin of our University) is exectly that if he runs mkfifo on the 2.0.36
> > NFS client, a chrdev is generated on the server (while both 2.0.35 and
> > 2.2.3 are creating a fifo).
>
> If its done non root his server is buggy. There is a convention about
> char 255,255 being a fifo. Thats what this is all about

And, to clear up all the confusion, the version of unfsd I was testing
against (beta19 at the time, I believe) was denying the request. If newer
versions have been "fixed", well..

For root there isn't much that can be done. Perhaps we could try to use
the original (broken) behavior and only if that fails to revert to the
correct behavior. I don't know if this strategy would work against
non-unfsd servers, I don't have easy access to solaris anymore.

BTW, unfsd should be fixed, not the kernel.. at least for 2.2.x.

Ion

--
  It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
            than to open it and remove all doubt.