Re: vfork: out of memory, when there's plenty of swap free

Tue, 16 Mar 1999 21:20:27 +0100 (MET)

Andrea,

You think that I shouldn't wrote kernel code, since you just wrote that in
some of your previous mail. I just answer you that you should THINK MORE
prior to writing code and indicate you for what REASONS I DO think so.

However, it seems that some people has found that I insulted you.
To suggest to THINK MORE prior to doing something is an insult, but to
have been STATED UNABLE to do the same thing is not from these people
viewpoint.
So, I am not going to post anything to these list for a while after this
one. I will stay in my field, I mean scsi lists.

I think that you idea _is_ stupid, because:

1 - process creation is not so critical for performances for having to pay
for such a large area of memory allocated statically.
2 - I donnot want to reboot my system in order to be able to create more
processes than a limit that is to be kept not to high because of
its memory wasting approach.
3 - I am not going to ever use a software than creates thousands
of processes per seconds which is the only situation where you
suggested change will have a significant advantage.

End of Story.

Gérard.