Re: PlugNPlay Bios expert wanted ;-)

Ulf Jaenicke-Roessler (ujr@physik.phy.tu-dresden.de)
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 10:34:07 +0100 (MET)

Vojtech Pavlik wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 16, 1999 at 09:55:11AM +0100, Ulf Jaenicke-Roessler wrote:

[...]

> Because it simply tries to reinitialize the whole PCI subsystem its way
> while starting (and doing PnP stuff), and as it does that, the values get
> lost (and even should they stay, they'd be bogus), and it doesn't care
> about writing the correct value back, because IT knows them and thinks
> it's enough.

Grrr ;-)

> > There was one way, I could keep the IRQ information. I needed to
> > disable 'interrupt steering' in Windows. However, it didn't restore
> > the I/O information and there were certain problems in Windows itself
> > (although I can't remember exactly - it's related to the PnP support
> > of Windows, but not only), so I decided to stick with the default
> > behaviour.
>
> Hmm, but, with the different i/o assigned, but the interrupt working, the
> realtek card could work, doesn't it?

You are right.

I can't remember for sure. I tried it some months ago and I will not repeat
it, becaused it messed up my Windows configuration which took a while to
get it back without reinstallation...

If I think about it, the same happened what I got when I tried to load the
old ne module with complete io and irq parameters: the kernel says, that
the ressource is not available. So, disabling 'irq steering' wouldn't be a
solution anyway, as long as I cannot restore the io settings.

> > > This is a problem of W9x and, as far as I know could only be fixed by
> > > re-assigning all the interrupts to PCI cards upon Linux boot, which
> > > doesn't happen now (though is possible to happen in the future).
> >
> > This would be great.
>
> I'm working on that with a friend here. A new bus architecture for Linux
> 2.3.

I'm looking forward to it.

> > > So, the only solution for you now is to mark the linux batchfile as
> > > needing a different configuration in W98, so that W98 reboots prior
> > > to running it.
> >
> > Yes, but actually I tried to circumvent rebooting, because it's faster.
>
> It should be possible to make a program that'd save the information, and
> then put it back ...

I don't have experience in kernel programming. I simply tried to cat
/proc/bus/00/09.0 (which is the information of my netcard) into a file and
I then to cat it back. bang. *G* The kernel was gone without any chance to
get it back - but it was my fault. I'm going to think about a DOS program
(or find one in the Internet).

> Goodd luck,
> Vojtech

Thanks!