Re: vfork: out of memory, when there's plenty of swap free

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 01:16:17 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, Pavel Machek wrote:

>run make -j and watch. Peak swap usage gets to 50Meg or so, then it
>starts dying with vfork: out of memory. [Can someone reproduce these,
>please?]

Somebody should fix userspace (I just see too many of these rasonable
right reports). This is not out of memory but out of tasks. NR_TASKS is
hardwired in tasks.h or something similar in include/linux.

Andrea Arcangeli